Saturday, June 28, 2014

Blue-Raspberry PIE!!! Oh I could die...

WARNING: This post contains the most delicious pie you have ever seen. Whether you have dietary restrictions or not, you will love this pie! It is Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free and Egg Free.

I love to watch cooking shows. I thought that was one of many things that would change with all the new dietary restrictions I have. A few of my favorite are MasterChef, Top Chef, MasterChef Junior, and The Chew. I love to learn new cooking terms like Sous-vide, FlambĂ©, and Mirepoix. They are so fun to say and I feel so fancy. Haha


I was watching Master Chef the other day and they all had to make Blueberry pie. That started it. I had to try my hand at pie. It is so hard to watch those shows sometimes and not be able to use 1/2 the ingredients that they use. I was now a girl on a mission. I looked all over the web for a good dairy free, egg free, gluten free, butter free pie crust. NOTHING! Nothing that had only the ingredients that I wanted to use. So I came up with my own.





I did a flax/chia seed crust using coconut oil first. While it was tasty and hit the spot. I did not like the black chia seed look. Pie crust should be blond. I also used a whole berry medley that had strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. I didn't like the bulky texture or flavor of the strawberries, but really enjoyed the flavor of the blueberries and raspberries best. So on the next try I decided to just use blueberries and raspberries. Good choice! I took the 2nd try camping with me and it was a hit. I decided it was actually good enough to share. 

Blue-Raspberry Pie with Coconut Flax Crust



Pie Crust Ingredients:

* 1 cup raw Cashew Pieces
* 1/2 cup milled flax seeds
* 1/2 cup unsweeted shredded coconut
* about 1/4 cup melted coconut manna (you can use coconut oil if you prefer)
* 3 packets Monk Fruit in the Raw Sweetener. (Can use Stevia or whatever sweetener you prefer) 
UPDATE: Add Sugar to taste for the berries. It may not be sweet enough with only 3 packets. 
* Pinch of salt
* Warm Water


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees








The Cashews are crumbly and done!

2. Put your cashews into a food processor and mill them until they are crumbly. You will be able to form them into a ball when they are ready. This will help the crust hold together. 
















2. Combine all your dry ingredients. I just do this in the glass Pyrex dish that I bake it in. No need to dirty an extra dish. 


3. Melt your coconut Manna (or coconut oil.) I do this by putting the entire jar into a plastic container that is just a little larger than the jar. I put it in the sink and allow the hot water to run on it for about 5-10 minutes as I am preparing everything else. 

4. Add the Coconut Manna to the dry ingredients. It will not coat everything and will still be pretty dry. I then just add water and work it with my hands until it is a perfect texture consistency to press into the pan. ( I just take a little warm water in my hand and work the crust.) At this point you have to taste the crust. It is REALLY GOOD. It is surprisingly buttery tasting. 
























Pie Filling Ingredients:

* 1- 1/2 (12 oz. package) Frozen Red Raspberries

* 1- 1/2 (12 oz. package) Frozen Blueberries

* 4 packets Monk Fruit in the Raw.
You can use more if you like yours sweeter, but I have found that this is sweet enough for me with the crust.











1. Combine the berries and the Monk Fruit in a bowl. Stir well as to coat the berries with the monk fruit. Isn't this a beautiful picture? Those berries are so pretty. 












2. Put in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the center of the fruit is hot.


I keep the pie in the fridge after it cools. I do not eat it hot, but prefer it cold. Because I do not use gelatin, it is quite runny just out of the oven. I have not tried slicing it either because honestly, I just ate it right out of the glass pie plate. Haha. Grab a fork and everyone dig in! We're all family, right? 

Enjoy this ridiculously good pie! Let me know what variations you come up with. I would love your feedback! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment